Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Programming, Concentration, and Lack of Sleep

I'm off work on Tuesdays, so usually it's a very productive day for me.  Today, unfortunately, I had much less sleep than usual, and it made it nearly impossible for me to keep my brain focused on the difficult concepts being presented in CS212 at Udacity.

It's tempting to just say "I can do this" and push oneself, trying to just "make it happen" through sheer willpower, but I haven't been able to do this since my early-20s, and I suspect even then it was much less effective than I thought it was.

According to a WebMD article from 2000, the brain-recovery aspect of sleep happens mostly in the early hours of sleep, not so much in the later parts, which suggests that a nap during the day would be better for brain-power than just trying to get more sleep at night.  This seems like a good strategy to try out.

No comments:

Post a Comment